Saturday, May 8, 2010

Beans and Corn for lunch...ick!

Last week, I started cooking recipes out of my new cookbook. I have to say I have been really impressed with this cookbook. Usually, with cookbooks, I only find about 50% of the recipes to be recipes I would actually use. When I found this cookbook, I knew I found one that I could use almost all the recipes...Score!


Last Monday, I made the Chicken Tarragon Salad.  I was excited to have it for lunch on Tuesday. Little did I know I would also have this salad for lunch on Wednesday! Tuesday I had the salad on an Arnold's Sandwich Thin. 



On Wednesday, I decided to try Meghan's trick and toast the bread in the morning for my sandwich.  It made a huge difference in my sandwich! The bread was crispy and the sandwich was awesome...it was as if I were eating at D Brians!


I also had a whole grapefruit and a side of steamed broccoli. I put a little water in the tupperware and covered it. I microwaved it for 1 minute and WHAM! Steamed broccoli at work!


It was interesting to me on this day because a coworker mentioned that I had a huge lunch...is this a huge lunch? It is a balanced lunch. But is it huge???


Later in the week, I made another recipe from this awesome cookbook...

I present to you...duh duh duh daaaaaaa!!

TROPICAL CHICKEN SALAD

Super foods: Olive oil, pineapple, yogurt, citrus, mango, strawberries, avocado

Ingredients:
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
* 2 t. extra-virgin olive oil (Bertolli)
* Refrigerated pineapple chunks (Del Monte)
* 1/3 c. fat-free plain yogurt (Horizon Organic)  ***I used Fage plain Greek yogurt***
* 1 T. orange juice concentrate (Minute Maid) ***I used Tropicana***
* 4 cups packaged chopped romaine lettuce (Ready Pac)
* 1 c. refrigerated mango chunks, drained (Del Monte)
* 8 whole strawberries
* 1 avocado, sliced (Can you believe I FORGOT this piece of the recipe?? Such a shame!!)

Directions:
1. Set up grill for direct cooking over high heat. Brush both sides of chicken breast halves with olive oil and set aside. (I used our Indoor Grill)
2. Oil grate when ready to start cooking. Place chicken on hot oiled grill.  Cook for 4-6 minutes per side or until chicken is no longer pink.
3. For dressing, drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice.  Measure 1 cup pineapple chunks and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the 1/3 c. reserved pineapple juice, yogurt and orange juice. Set aside
4. On a large platter, arrange romaine chicken, pineapple chunks, mango chunks, strawberries, and avocado slices. Serve with dressing.

*** I added sugared almonds and blue cheese chunks*****



Doesn't it look pretty? Such vibrant colors!!

Had a minor kitchen accident while cooking...don't worry, it's healing....(Actually it is in such an odd spot that the cut keeps opening up...eek)

I told Chad that it felt like we were eating dinner on the beach on our honeymoon, except that we were at home in Minnesota, with 50 degree weather...come on, use your imagination!!


Is your mouth watering yet??

Mine is...

I didn't know how to serve this salad. Chad said to arrange it on the platter, take a picture and then throw it all in a bowl...I think he's starting to get on board with my food blogging :)



While I was cooking, Chad kept saying that it smelled horrible in the kitchen. He thought it was the chicken, then the burning sugar. We just couldn't figure out what smelled so HORRIFIC!!

When I went to get more Blue Cheese to add to my salad, I realized the culprit!!

Let me just tell you that this tub of Blue Cheese, courtesy of CostCo, smells like a large man, who had beans and corn for lunch, died in our kitchen. 

Sorry to be graphic...but I just wanted you to fully understand how horrible this was.

I am trying, unsuccessfully, to write a major project that is due on Tuesday. I had to do a Research Project for my Reading License and it is all culminating in this major, major paper. Nothing like putting off today what you can do tomorrow...

Kiss your mother!!

No comments: