Monday, May 10, 2010

Hi. My name is Joanie...

and I have an addiction....

After finishing the 5K yesterday, I was on such a high! I was so happy and I felt great! I wanted to do it AGAIN!!!!

I tried to resist the urge...

I knew my body needed a break...

I knew I shouldn't spend the money....

But I just couldn't resist! I could only think of one thing...

I had to RACE AGAIN!!!!!!!

So today, I gave in and signed up for another race...in 4 days!!!

The Minneapolis Autism 5K is this Saturday. Know what makes it even better?

It is around Lake Calhoun...one of my favorite places in Minnesota!!!
YIPPEE!!!!

And what better cause to run for (Other than Breast Cancer...wait, I already did that!) than AUTISM!!!

Autism Facts:

  • * 1 in 100 children are diagnosed with autism
  • * More than 1.5 million Americans are affected
  • * Every 21 minutes a child is diagnosed
  • Source


Like I wrote about here, I have had a close relationship with someone who has Autism.  
So this race has been on my radar for awhile.  

This race supports two foundations: C.A.D.E. (Children with Autism Deserve Education) and Generation Rescue.  


Generation Rescue
Generation Rescue logo






Generation Rescue is an international movement of scientists, physicians and parent-volunteers researching the causes and treatments for autism, ADHD and chronic illness and mentoring thousands of families in recovering their children. Generation Rescue provides education, medical assistance and treatment for children with autism spectrum disorders, directly improving the child’s quality of life for all families in need.
C.A.D.E. (Children with Autism Deserve Education)
Children with Autism Deserve Education (C.A.D.E.)The basis of C.A.D.E. is to help fund education for autism for children that don’t have the funding to obtain it.  The direct teaching method known as ABA/VB has been found to be the most effective treatment for autism and is the methodology that we support.  Unfortunately, many children with autism don’t have the opportunity to benefit from this effective therapy & public schools don’t have the funding to provide it.  C.A.D.E would like to be able to help fund those children that don’t have the financial means for this.  Children with autism deserve to obtain the most effective means of education and we will help them get  it.
C.A.D.E. will also support medical interventions for children.  There are many medical interventions that are being found helpful to the growing population of autism.  We will help provide funding for interventions that are supported and managed by medical doctors in the Twin Cities.
C.A.D.E. is 100% a volunteer organization, from the board to the other volunteers and all event proceeds it ultimately receives will go directly to fund grants for children in the Twin Cities.
What other reason do I need?

No comments: