Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cinnamon Apple Cake and Party Pinwheels!!

I loved experimenting with new recipes on New Year's Eve. I forgot to write about the dessert I made...usually the most important part of the meal for me :) I got this recipe from The Best of Cooking Light, so I didn't feel bad eating a whole piece. I accidentally put in almond extract instead of vanilla, so I decided to make another batch for my Preiner Christmas. I will say that it was loved by all!!

Cinnamon Apple Cake

1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup (6 ounces) block style fat free cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups chopped and peeled apple (about 2 large)
Cooking Spray

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
3. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Combine 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture and chopped apple in a bowl, and stir the apple mixture into batter. Pour batter into an 8 inch springform pan coated with cooking spray and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Make sure the cake cools COMPLETELY before you try to remove it from the pan or the cake will crumble.

I also made Party Pinwheels for the Preiner Christmas. This was a healthy, light snack that I will definitely make again!!


Party Pinwheels


2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened

1 package ranch dressing mix

2 green onions, minced

4 12-inch tortillas

1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced

1/2 cup diced celery

1 2 ounce can sliced black olives (I did not use olives)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I used a Mexican cheese)



In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, ranch dressing mix, and green onions. (I put the green onions in a bowl and used scissors to mince them.)

Spread this mixture on each tortilla. Sprinkle red pepper, celery, black olives, and cheese (if you'd like) over the cream cheese mixture.

Roll up the tortillas, then wrap them tightly in aluminum foil. Chill 2 hours or overnight. Cut off ends of the rolls, and slice the chilled rolls into 1 inch slices.


No comments: