Sunday, January 17, 2010

Penne with Chicken Marengo and Pesto Salmon

I tried a new recipe on Saturday night. It had some ingredients that I am not crazy about, but I have been trying new things, so I thought I would give it a try. I found the recipe on Womenshealthmag.com

Penne with Chicken Marengo...(What does Marengo mean? Anyone??)
* 8 ounces Penne
* 1/2 cup dry packed Sun-dried tomatoes
* 2 boneless Chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes
*1 Tb. Flour
* 1/2 t. dried thyme
* 1/4 t. ground black pepper
* 1 T. olive oil
* 3 cups sliced mushrooms
* 1/2 cup chicken broth
* 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
* 1/2 cup orange juice
* 1 t. grated orange zest
* 1 t. brown sugar
* 1/8 t. salt

Directions:
1. Cook penne according to directions. Drain and pour into serving bowls
2. In small bowl, cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes, drain and then chop coarsely.
3. Toss chicken in flour and thyme and pepper. In large saute' pan, heat olive oil until hot. Add coated chicken and cook until brown. Add mushrooms and 2 T. of chicken broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add crushed tomatoes, orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and remaining broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes. Pour mixture over pasta.
I added some half-and-half because I like my red sauce a little creamier.

VERDICT: I was not a fan of this meal. The mix of mushrooms/sun-dried tomato/orange juice was just odd. Chad wasn't a fan either and he usually loves stuff like this. Maybe I will try it again without the orange juice and sun-dried tomato. With all the recipes I have been trying, it is about time I try one that isn't a hit!


PESTO SALMON!!!
Now this was a fabulous meal! I have made this salmon before so it was an easy fix for a quick dinner.

Salmon:
I covered a square pan with foil and then sprayed with olive oil. I put a small amount of home-made pesto on the bottom of the pan and then added the salmon. I covered the salmon in pesto and baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.


I also made brown rice with parsley/onion/red pepper flakes and green beans with feta cheese/almonds and olive oil.


I gave into my sweets craving and had a small bowl of Rainbow sherbet with a handful of raspberries and a dollop of Hershey's chocolate sauce...Yummy!

Last night, I went to see my brother's band Roster McCabe at Bogart's in Apple Valley. My mom, dad, cousin Annie and her mom Barb came, along with Drew's girlfriend, Alicia. We had a blast!!!
That's my brother in the gray hat. Let me just say I am planning with mom and Alicia to burn the hat...
My fabulous cousin Annie and I!





No comments: